Wednesday, March 02, 2005

Providing scholarly funding for budding students at St. Copious and other fine academic institutions



My Grandfather Elihu the First knew a young caddy named Danny Noonan who was struggling to find the means to attend college at St. Copious of Northern Nebraska--a school with not many women (mostly nuns), but nonetheless a fine liberal arts institution. A caddy scholarship was one of the only ways to fund attendance for Mr. Noonan...

Funding the dreams of aspiring students is a noble cause. Although when my alma mater came calling night after night after night, I told them I wasn't available (Yes, it was me saying that). I was too damn tired to listen to their pitch. Last night I aquiesced and listened to the promotional ability of a student making a few buck an hour at a University phone bank.

I try to be generous, much like Grandpa Elihu, who was well known for offering a Fresca to passers by in his daily life. I ended up having a good conversation with that student solictor of contributions. I talked to an MSU student from Aberdeen, SD, who shunned the school in her home town (Northern State University) in order to meet new people and have new experiences and perspectives. I'm not sure if Mankato, Minnesota would fall under the definition of broad, but I admire her intestinal fortitude. She was a pre-pharmacy student, eventually trying to get back home by attending pharmacy school at South Dakota State University. Sounds a little bit like the Wizard of Oz. I'm sure there have been many people along the way who were generous so that I could find my way in this world at Minnesota State University, Mankato. I was asked good questions, reflecting on the growing experience I had--fine professors, wise mentors. I connected my story through to the next generation of students.

Not a bad deal for a little green.

What pulled me to separate me from the contents of my wallet? First and foremost? I was asked. Second, someone who had the courage to persist beyond my shell of cantankerousness. Third, a gift of connecting me with my story and the generosity I received.

Not a bad deal indeed.

Pastor Smails

No comments: