Tuesday, December 06, 2005

If You Want A Funky Christmas...



When I was a boy, my father and I would occasionally watch television and come upon James Brown. The Funkmeister himself on Soul Train, or Sonny and Cher, Flip Wilson or some other variety show. We would both watch in fascination the man shuffle his feet and truly get down. We would laugh--not because the King of Soul was funny. James was so far from our experience.

James moved from fascination in my musical appreciation when I worked with Bingo at a music store in Seattle in the winter of 1997. On the regular rotation of music during the shopping season was this fine album that you see here. By the time I left my short stint in Seattle and my only direct foray in working retail, I was looking forward to the time James made the music rotation.

This CD is oh, so cool. I would almost guarantee that no one else is singing "Santa Claus, go straight to the ghetto."

Any James Brown Christmas is good (I have one other), but this one has the best cover.

If you want a funky Christmas (I never thought of a funky Christmas until 8 years ago), get this CD.

Elihu

No comments: