Saturday, October 29, 2005

I hate carving pumpkins

Last year my spouse discovered that I do not care to take knives and other cutting instruments to members of the squash family.

"Why in the hell do we have a pumpkin carving party, anyway?"

The point is not having a place to carve pumpkins, but a family friendly activity that gives people an excuse to take in a few joyful beverages and listen to music--and talk about Lyle Lovett, Robert Earl Keen, Alison Krauss, Cowboy Junkies and the Grateful Dead. We all learned something, including that Summit Oktoberfest Marzen Style Ale tastes like pumpkin flavored syrup. It sucks.

I'm not sure if it is South Dakotans, or it is just people in my stage of life, but it is hard to get people together where they don't get their undies in a bundle about child care and can relax long enough to enjoy some good conversation. We were on our way last night, but everyone left by 9:30. Huh?

I remember as a child going to many a party with my pj's on and a sleeping bag. We wouldn't leave until about 1-2 in the morning. Are these days gone? Or do our parties just bite?

I welcome your comments. Please. If anyone is reading.

Elihu

No comments: