Tuesday, April 07, 2009

Hyperbolic video game violence


Hot New Video Game Consists Solely Of Shooting People Point-Blank In The Face

This Onion clip doesn't rank in the pantheon of Onion greats, but I put forth a hearty guffaw after I watched this. The more I thought about the topic, it's funny on multiple levels:

1. This piece highlights the progression of video game violence over the past two decades and takes it to its absurd conclusion--I've noticed this as I play our family Wii and add on old games from the NES basic system from the late 1980's. Does the humor highlight desensitization to violence, or does it merely lampoon moral outrage?

2. I find it interesting that The Onion has taken on topics the last few days that get buried in this endless news cycle of apoplectic economics: video game violence and that Pope Benedict decides to accept abortion. Not that I wish for more discussion about abortion or video game violence, but these recent stories satirize media tunnel vision about economic issues.

On another Onion note: quite a coup for the Onion News Network to sign on former CNN veteran Bobbie Batista. Nice work ONN--you are a media PLAYA.

No comments: