Sunday, May 24, 2009

A Seattle Mariners Tradition Passed On

I believe it was June, 1977, when my Dad took me to my first Major League Baseball game in Seattle's Kingdome. The Seattle Mariners' first season. It was picture day, and I had a blurry Polaroid taken with cast off Diego Segui. I was equipped with my fairly new Catfish Hunter signature baseball glove and my trident Mariner M cap.

I felt like it was time for my oldest daughter to see her first Major League game, to see local baseball heroes and take in the atmosphere of Safeco field. Even though the Mariners are not quite as bad a team as they were that first season with Glenn Abbott, Bill Stein, Dan Meyer and Rupert Jones (though they are bad enough), the entire baseball experience in Seattle is better. Safeco Field is a great venue. The Mariners have actual baseball heroes in their history and on the club today. Ichiro, Ken Griffey Jr, and some developing stars--one whom we will see pitch today in Felix Hernandez. The club is heading in a better direction with General Manager Jack Zduriencik--who appears to have the baseball and leadership acumen along with a plan--a step up from former GM Bill Bavasi. These points, of course, matter little, if any, to my daughter. Though she may never be the baseball fan I am, female baseball fans may have a genetic link in our family. My Gram and I share love for baseball, a love she learned from her father listening to the Portland Beavers from their home across the Columbia River in Camas, Washington. Occasionally they would make the trip to watch the games as well. I imagine that most of the day will involve taking in the sights and sounds, while looking forward to the next treat. These treats have advanced as well, as have the prices. I'm still amazed I can buy a piece of sushi called an Ichi-roll (with a third mortgage to do it).

We will attend the game with my father and cousin, so they have a chance to witness my daughter's reactions to all she sees and hears. My only hope is that she remembers some of the experience, and that the experience is a joyful one.

No comments: