Tuesday, March 31, 2009

BNL "moves forward:" feeling melancholic (part 2)

The BNL song "Bad Day" remains on a regular listening rotation these days. It still produces thought of my oldest daughter--her joyful, mysterious, and common childhood. I also think of the first time I heard it in context of the report of the BNL breakup. Relationships change, and there's no need to dwell in misery over what used to be, but find grace in what was and what will be. Today's entry brings thoughts about BNL songs as the soundtrack of my household's life:

"I Love You (from the CD "Gordon")" This song was on the soundtrack I made for My Dear Wife (MDW) during the labor and birth of our oldest daughter. MDW particularly enjoyed this song--a little for its usual BNL silliness: "I love soup, and I love ice cream sandwiches, too. I love fishsticks, but I love you." It also named something in our relationship that revealed a depth of preparation, yet also some spontaneous ebullience (Defining Lyric): "I love you, so let's make a family tree." As we waited for and lived out our nascent parenthood, this song made us dance, much like child #1 in MDW's belly.

"Brian Wilson (from the CD "Gordon")" I probably like this song a little more than MDW, but we've talked about our dark side and the dark side of Stephen Page associated with this song--about self-medication with food (a struggle with us on occasion), depression (not our own struggle--but one that we see in our family and in our congregations) and the wonder about people who can produce such brilliant and beautiful art while suffering in their own torment. Why is it that the suffering can produce such art that can resonate with the masses in their episodic or chronic pain? I am also reminded of my good friends in St. Louis--almost every trip to St. Louis we went searching for music well into the night in University City--songs that reflected that the world was our oyster. I can't remember the name of those "late night record shops."
Defining Lyric: "And if you want to find me I'll be out in the sandbox, wondering where the hell all the love has gone.
Playing my guitar and building castles in the sun, and singing "Fun, Fun, Fun."

"These Apples (from the CD "Maybe You Should Drive") This was my first BNL song, an introduction from my brother (a significant portion of music I enjoy is greatly influenced by him). I heard this song soon before I met MDW. This song reflects a mood of the playfulness of new love--eros--the art that inspires and leads to the propogation of the species. This song made it to the some of the "mixed tapes" I sent to pour out my heart for MDW.
Defining Lyric: "Im not trying to sing a love song -- Im trying to sing in tune. I know I am sometimes headstrong
Falling love, catching fire -- I want to be consumed Wondering will I ever tire, will I ever tire!"

No comments: