Tuesday, March 24, 2009

Joys of #2 learning to #1 & #2 in appropriate places

Child #2 recently returned from Grandma's Potty Boot Camp. My dear wife and I don't seem to have what it takes to get a child to pee in a toilet. That's not entirely true--Grandma is just more efficient. The Young One didn't take a costly bribe to use the toilet--Papa gave her a high five and danced the Charleston with every toilet success.

She's recently become quite a little lady, making her hair just so in the morning, and putting on a headband like her older sister. Over our pancake breakfast this morning, The Young One released a small floating air biscuit. She looked at me matter-of-factly and said, "excuse me."

I'm not exactly sure when I will re-enter the full-time working world. I have enjoyed being a stay-at-home dad. First, I really like the little moments like potty training and pony tails done with time and care, and the conversations that go with those activities. Second, I like that my role doesn't come with the socially conformed expectations of the stay-at-home mother. One thing is for sure, I won't win any parenting awards, especially when The Young One can quote this scene from Family Guy (DISCLAIMER: I don't let my young children watch Family Guy per se. She's only seen this clip a few times.)



The Young One hasn't watched this clip in a few months, but she'll walk up to me and say, "Hey Daddy, Cool Whip (emphasizing the h, of course)."

No comments: