Thursday, March 05, 2009

The Cacophany of Talking Heads (I Hope I'm Making Sense, Or Should I Stop?)



I remember thinking that it didn't really matter that the election is over, that the cacophany of political talking heads would not abate. I struggle to tolerate even some of my analytical standbys, like the McLaughlin Group on PBS. The Mort Zuckerman decorum-based analysis is going the way of the dinosaur. Shrill sells. For awhile I found myself listening to Keith Olbermann, just because of the novelty of a left-leaning distributor of shrill. I'm giving up on almost all of them. Jon Stewart gets to stay, only because he makes me laugh. It seems like every 2-3 years I return to the Christian Science Monitor, then I leave again because it's expensive, and I find their web content unsatisfying.

Today I laughed extra hard because of the lampooning of the NRA's Wayne LaPierre (what a tragic, French sounding name for the face of the NRA). You may have to wait awhile to get to the LaPierre section of the clip, but it's worth it. The talking heads just sound like idiots. Stewart later shows a split screen with Chris Matthews and Michael Steele??? They both sound like fools--and not the good fools in my new favorite Great Big Sea song, Company of Fools. Bad fools. Bad, bad fools.

No comments: